Sunday 16 July 2017

Latest Paintings

Here are my latest efforts, although since I've done several more, some of which I'll post soon. Actually I've had them hanging around for a little while so thought, for want of something better, to post them. The first subject is "Blue Thunder' subtitled 'Custers Scout',. I'd never heard of this guy until recently when I came across the photo from which the painting was produced. This was taken around 1900  when he was fairly elderly. According to what I could find he was a Santee Sioux and was a scout initially in the 1860s at the time of the so- called Fetterman massacre at Fort Phil Kearney. He wasn't with Custer at the Little Big Horn which was lucky for him.
.



Early Stages - pencil drawing followed by painting the eyes, nose and mouth.



Blue Thunder - 16" x 12" Waterford High White.







A simple Landscape _ an AVA subject at a Thursday session.




Crow Warrior - 16" x 12" Waterford.

3 comments:

abdulMuiz Chulan said...

Lovely light and shadow on the portrait....is there a particular term for that "merging" undefined diffuse edges like the low right area of the portrait mr Ward?

Abdulmuiz

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comment Abdul. The only terms I know are hard and soft edges. Charles Reid says make them 50 -50. Not sure which one you are referring to.

abdulMuiz Chulan said...

Yes...I was refering to the shadow area...its the 'character' i like about watercolors...