Friday 15 April 2016

Left Hand

This is my latest Indian portrait, a Comanche Indian with the name of Left Hand. I haven't been able to find anything else about him. The guide photo is from the Edward Curtis collection, freely accessible on the web. The First People site is a good place to start.




Left Hand 16" x 12 " Waterford High White 140lb (300gsm) not

I feel I've been slipping away recently so went back to basics, studying Charles Reid but also one or two other portrait artists like Aime Devine. This is the result. The original photo is black and white or more correctly more sepia-like. Colours therefore are guesswork even the facial ones. 

Colours featured included Transparent Brown (Schminke PBr41), Cerulean, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber Raw Sienna and Cadmium Red Light. I think that's it. Usual brushes, Isabey 6228 and 6201 sizes 4 to 8.



No comments: